Monday, September 8, 2008

Most Important issues.

To me the most important issues a candidate can gain or lose ground with me is in the fields of economics and military/war policies. The presidents have always had influence in these areas. Under most democratic presidents the upper tax bracket has been heavily taxed, while reducing taxes for the lower brackets. Republicans , on the other hand, often do just the opposite, cut taxes for highest bracket.

Not cutting this bracket is a big mistake by those who don't do it (mostly democrats, but oddly a few republicans). The bigger the tax in the upper bracket the more the rich are inclined to stop working, work less, find a less financial career. All of these options result in loss of jobs for the lower class. The rich are the most flexible, and most elastic to taxes. Increasing their taxes has often resulted in a decrease in overall tax revenue; with this being on top of all the dead weight loss. Although it seems like the unjust thing to do you must vote for candidates that don't destroy the upper tax bracket. There is evidence in just about every economics course/ public finance course to support this.

Now, without saying hey now Craig, I know our current President is a republican, and his term has not yielded the prosperity I am demanding. I accredit this to his major flaw. War spending. War is a very costly endeavor. Although he keeps taxes low, Bush borrows more and more money to support his never ending war. I can understand his reasons for going in, however, we should have left the second Saddam was disposed of in my opinion. No way could the consequences of pulling out early be greater than the economic pain we all are facing everyday.

Both of these areas I feel, as a citizen. I don't feel how the president feels about abortion, or how he thinks gay marriage should exist. Those things don't affect us all nearly as much as these two areas. That is why they are my two most important.

No comments: