Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Article of fact?

I chose an article from the Latimes titled "McCain-Palin crowd:23,000, or a third that size. The article first points out how reporters estimate the crowd size at these events The author of the article points out that the Police estimated the crowd to be 23,000 (a number the McCain campaign was happy to endorse). He also shows the other numbers people got. The fire marshal showed the number to be around 15,000 and one reporter even eye gauged the crowd to be as small as 8,000. The author urges people not to believe the numbers they are presented all the time because the official (police number) could be way off, which he believes it was in this case. The argument uses a topic to correct an error of fact. He gets research from other reporters and the fire marshal. He then formulated his hypothesis. It was hard to find much out of structure described. The numbers are not certain since no official number is that accurate so he estimated it to be lower than the projected value.

4 comments:

Marissa S said...

Your article is interesting to me because I always feel like when I am looking at magazines or newspaper articles, and they are giving us number estimates, that the numbers are way off. Or I feel as though they are just making up a random number to try and get us to believe them.

Xander said...

This article kind of makes me wonder about every political meeting that we see on television. When I see crowds of that, I wonder if there are really that many politically interested people in the United States. Your article has sparked my interest. I would like to know the true numbers, just like the true stories of the candidates and their families.

David F said...

I have also seen an article talking about this very same thing. The overestimating of McCain's crowds is pretty funny, and sort of insignificant politically. But i guess they are just trying to compete with Obama's big crowds. It makes you wonder if Obama's crowds are as big as people say too.

AlleOsborne said...

I see this sort of thing everywhere...it really bothers me most of the time too. Why can't people just get the correct numbers. It's one thing when it's one of your friends talking about how many girls he was hanging out with but definitely another in these kinds of cases.