Monday, September 1, 2008

example of pathos

For my pathos argument, I chose to explore "Cutler ready to emerge as star for Broncos" off espn.com by Bill Williamson. The article aims to get the reader stirred up about Jay Cutler, the starting quarterback. It uses pathos when describing how he battles with severe diabetes. By adding this fact the reader sympathizes and wishes the best for the young man, similar to the movie "Rudy". I felt emotions like hope, and sadness. The article continues by explaining his positive qualities, which should lead to success. It also gives some other players comments on the players, which also evoke positive emotions. You get the feeling that he is a team oriented player, and he possesses great sportsmanship. These implications make the pathos part of the argument even stronger. It has a bit of an ethos argument, because Williamson is an undoubtedly accredited sports analyst. He knows what he is talking about and he makes a solid case.

The argument that Jay Cutler will emerge as a star, is supported by stats, projections, and most of all hope.

Lets go Jay Cutler!

2 comments:

Eric said...

Craig, I like this example of pathos. I am an avid sports fanatic, so articles about athletes often evoke my emotions. Recently, I read an article about one of the US Olympic Marathoners who went through hardship and turmoil on his way to glory. Stories such as these really do cut to the core and bring out one's sympathetic side. Thanks for sharing.

Xander said...

Being a fellow Cutler, I must say: well done on the Pathos selection. Football, and the passion for the game has become an almost religious experience for the people of this nation. Finding an article that is both emotional and inspirational is an excellent example of Pathos. I am interested as to what this argument was, I would like to read it. Emotional arguments, especially about the game of football, are always going to tug the heartstrings of Americans.